Friday 6 April 2018

40 in 2018: April


I am definitely an advocate of rereading books - I love knowing what it going to happen and being able to just relax and enjoy the story. In the past I would have keep 95% of my books just in case I wanted to reread them, but I am trying to be much more selective about which ones have the privilege of remaining on my bookcase and which head off to a new home via the charity shop! In 2018 I am also making more of an effort of not spending any money on new books; I am only getting books from the library (sometimes having to pay a £1 request fee) and from charity shops. It's been quite a challenge but I'm enjoying it!

Books I read in March

A Classic:
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Vol 2 by J.R.R. Tolkien
I have started this book, but with our son's hospitalisation, a youth camp, and my 6 day flu bug I haven't managed to finish. It will be moved to April!

Bookish Mamas Book Club:
How to stop time by Matt Haig
I had seen March's book club book in several shops and had been intrigued by it, so I was pleased that it was chosen for March. I borrowed a copy of a friend which included illustrations by Chris Riddell; she passed it on with a less-than-enthusiastic review which may have affected my initial feelings. The blurb gives the idea of a fast-paced, identity changing book, which just doesn't happen; it was a very slow, gentle book which I pleasantly enjoyed, but it wasn't what I was expecting. The conclusion is jars a little with the gentleness of the book, but does tie the book up nicely. I think I just wanted more: more detail, more time zones, more... Our book club mostly enjoyed it, with highlights being the Tudor times and the relationship between Tom and Rose. Would I recommend it? Probably. Would I read it again? Probably. Would I forget all about it? Probably!

Unfinished business:
Belgravia by Julian Fellowes
This was my unfinished book of the month and I'm not convinced! I could have easily put this down and moved on several times, but I decided to persevere and finish... The storyline was simple and predictable, with a 'happy ending'. If you have a Downton shaped hole in your life then this would fill it but otherwise it's just an ok read.

Others:
Remember by Karen Kingsbury, with Gary Smalley
The 9/11 attacks in New York and Alzheimer's are not exactly fun topics to read about, but Karen Kingsbury (with Gary Smalley) manage to write a book which is sensitive and uplifting. I do find this series of books to be quite predictable: they deal with some hefty issues but always in the right way, but they are easy to read and there's nothing too offensive. In this book I really enjoyed Ashley's exploration of treating Alzheimer patients differently, and enabling them to stay in the period of history that they are stuck in. This seems to be a much more compassionate response, as opposed to trying to force them back into today's reality... Something for me to ponder a bit more!

**Book of the month** Hands Free Mama: A Guide to Putting Down the Phone, Burning the To-Do List, and Letting Go of Perfection to Grasp What Really Matters! by Rachel Macy Stafford
I have been reading this book slowly over the year to give me a chance to ponder what is written and how I can change my own behaviour. I could have read it much quicker and it would have been quite repetive, but reading it on my Tuesday mornings over the past year means that it has been a good reminder of adapting my 'hands full' behaviour. For me, there are some real challenges about my phone etiquette and I am continually battling with wasting time on social media versus spending time with my family. This has had a big impact on my parenting and I am now (trying to be) more present and available. Interestingly on Good Reads people have written that it is a very religious book, whereas I barely noticed the religious comments, but that may be because it isn't sold as a Christian book and there are plenty out there that are much more religious!
Jim Elliot said it best with, "Wherever you are, be all there!" (Maybe I should read his biography next month!!)

Undercover Princess by Connie Glynn
This was a birthday present from Steve, my husband. He enjoys going and picking a random book which he thinks I will enjoy. And I love it, as I find that my gaze frequently returns to authors I know or genres that I am comfortable with, but he doesn't have that restriction. This book is beautiful to look at and it definitely catches your eye on the shelf! Neither Steve or I knew of Connie Glynn as a vlogger before purchasing the book and it hasn't affected my enjoyment of the book (positively or negatively!)
The story is Princess Diaries meets Mallory Towers meets Harry Potter meets the young James Bond. It is written for 10-17 year olds, with the main characters being 14 and would fit that. There are sparkles and tiaras, as well as some intrigue and fighting, so it is an interesting mixture. The writing is clunky at times and it's not brilliantly written but it is an enjoyable read.

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
This was my re-read this month! I got the recent film for my birthday and just felt I had to read the book too! In my opinion this is one of Christie's best and I love the structure of the book. I don't want to say much more except 'READ IT' as I will be blogging about the book versus the film in another post!

Underwater Adventure by Willard Price 
I came across these children/young teen books through my brother-in-law who has loads of them. They are written in the 1950s so are very un-PC and contain animal practices that we have since changed. But they are great adventure stories which have strong, yet sensitive, male lead characters. I am really looking forward to introducing my son to them when he is old enough.

Win, Lose or Die by John Gardner
This was a good charity shop find! I do love a bit of James Bond! The storyline was slightly surreal with Thatcher, Bush and Gorbachev arriving on a naval ship for a secret meeting, and Bond having to provide security. But there were a few twists and turns which kept me on my toes and meant that this was an enjoyable read.


Books I hope to read in April

A Classic:
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Vol 2 by J.R.R. Tolkien

Bookish Mama Book Club:
Fingers In The Sparkle Jar by Chris Packham

Unfinished Business:
I'm not going to add a specific book here as I really want to finish Simplify, Walking the Himalayas and LOTR this month.

Others:
The Pearl Sister (The Seven Sisters 4) by Lucinda Riley
Simplify by Bill Hybels
Walking the Himalayas by Levison Wood
The Wrong Side Of Goodbye by Michael Connelly
For Better Or For Kids by Patrick and Ruth Schwenk
Le Bumper Book of Franglais by Miles Kington
The Applause of Heaven by Max Lucado

Total list of books read in 2018

* Book of the month*

8 books in March
26. Win, Lose or Die by John Gardner
25. Underwater Adventure by Willard Price
24. How To Stop Time by Matt Haig
23. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
22. Undercover Princess by Connie Glynn
21. Hands Free Mama by Rachel Macy Stafford
20. Belgravia by Julian Fellowes
19. Remember by Karen Kingsbury, with Gary Smalley
7 books in February
*18. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Vol 1 by J.R.R. Tolkien*
17. Five Give Up The Booze by Bruno Vincent
16. The Whistler by John Grisham
15. Grand Depart by Susan Perry
14. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
13. The Secret of Nightingale Wood by Lucy Strange
12. Redemption by Karen Kingsbury, with Gary Smalley
11 books in January
*11. Walking the Nile by Levison Wood*
10. Valley of the Shadow (Cornish Mystery 3) by Carola Dunn
9. The Black Ship (Daisy Dalrymple 18) by Carola Dunn
8. Handle With Care by Jodi Picoult
7. The Power by Naomi Alderman
6. Without Warning (Elite Guardians 2) by Lynette Eason
5. Always Watching (Elite Guardians 1) by Lynette Eason
4. The Bloody Tower (Daisy Dalrymple 16) by Carola Dunn
3. Requiem for a Mezzo (Daisy Dalrymple 3) by Carola Dunn
2. Death of a Policeman (Hamish Macbeth) by M.C.Beaton
1. Black Raven (Shetland Book 1) by Ann Cleeves

No comments:

Post a Comment

40 in 2018: The final update!

Books I read in December A Classic: Paddington on Top  by Michael Bond (Audiobook) Bookish Mamas: One Day In December by Josie Silver Unfi...